Monday, June 23, 2008

My Place of the Week

This week I'd like to tell you about Kennywood Park. Now growing up I went to Kennywood each year twice a year. Once on school picnic day and then another time when the band played in August. It's always a day of fun if not some excitement (we were there the year a microburst went through the area and unfortunately someone was killed and people were badly hurt.) Now as an adult, I still look forward to the day we go at the end of school for our picnic day. As I've gotten older I've become more of a bench sitter but there are so many fabulous rides there. This year they've added a new ride and it was a lot of fun. I'm told it's a lot like the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disney. I still love the Whip and my little friends know I'm always game for a ride with them. We hold our hands up in the air around the corners and yell. I'm not sure if they enjoy it more or me! hehehe

Of course, if you like roller coasters (and I don't), Kennywood has some of the best coasters in the country. The Thunderbolt is very well known for its wooden track and speed. Then there's the Phantom's Revenge, the Jack Rabbit and the Racers. The Pitt Fall is another thrill ride you won't find me on but is loved by many. So is the Exterminator which is indoors and I can't tell you what it looks like because I've never been on it. Even my hubby who loves the coasters doesn't like that one. (Might have something to do with losing a hat the first year) There are so many great rides at Kennywood that I'd highly recommend it. It's pricey to get in so look for bargains in the area to help out with the price of admission. I promise you though that your family will have a fabulous time.

2008 PRICES, HOURS, DATES and events schedule

PRICES: Regular FunDay admission is $32.00/person. Junior Funday (under 46" tall) is $19.00/person. Senior (55+) FunDay is $15.00. Night Rider is $17.00-daily after 5 pm.

Operating Hours: Kennywood gates open @ 10:30 am and rides begin to open @ 11 am. Closing times are determined daily, but closing is usually around 10 pm depending upon weather and crowd conditions. During Phantom Fright Nights, the park is open from 7 pm until 1 am. Kennywood does not have daytime operating hours during Phantom Fright Nights.

Kennywood Park

No comments: